I’ll admit it. Here we go, I’ve raised my hand.
I tend to wing it.
*GASP* I know!! I know!! When it comes to doing a big cookup, I usually prepare well enough, but the actual cooking, I just wing it. I cook whichever meal first, and I chop up veggies here and there. I use several pots and pans, and then I have to wait while something finishes cooking, or I have to wash something that is dirty… Ok I’m just not very organised!
So, I jumped onto the Group page for Budgeting, Food, stockpiling And Savings Ideas Australia and asked…
If you do Big Cookups/bulk cooking, what’s your battle plan?
How do you organise all the foods you’re going to cook?
Do you plan to use a variety of cooking equipment at once? Or cook things separately? Do you buy everything on the day or do you get some stuff prepped a few days before?
I didn’t have to wait long to get responses (great thing about this group? If you have a question, someone out there usually has a few good answer within a few minutes or so. They are so great).
I was also inspired by the range of plans and preparing different people do. I guess the adage of ‘more than one way to skin a cat’ is true in cooking as well. (On a side note, WHO is skinning cats? Where did this ridiculous saying come from?!)
Some suggestions were:
- If you have more than one slow cooker, have both going at the same time
- Prep the night before so you’re not trying to do it all at once
- Buy supplies a day or so before, it can be too tiring to shop and cook on the same day
- If you can, start slow cookers the night before. You can get a jump start on the cooking!
- Use as few cooking items as possible (less to clean up)
- If you are going to cook the vegetables, you might not need a separate chopping board
- By the fresh ingredients the day before
- Utilise online shopping
- Chop, slice and dice everything before the big cooking day
Some people were divided. For example:
- Clean as you go
- Use everything and clean at the end
There you have it, great advice from people who’ve cooked this way before.